How To Use Overlays in Photoshop
My goodness these are easy. I promise you, even if you are not familiar with photoshop, the basics are not scary at all.
Firstly, think of layers in photoshop as like cellophane layers on top of your image. You can 'mask' areas off of the image and see through to the layer below. Once you have your head around layers everything else will follow.
1) Open your image in Photoshop.
2) Drag your chosen layer onto your image.
3) Change the blending mode (drop down menus above your layers) to screen.
4) Adjust your overlay- change the size, shape, opacity or even add blur to make it fit your vision.
5) Mask off of unwanted areas.